I have been thinking a lot about what my life will be like in India. Aside from the culture shock and the initial touristy excursions, I am expecting I will face a good amount of down-time. Ryan's working hours will be 2pm to 11pm. We will have mornings together, but after that, I will be alone. I hope to make friends with other ex-pat spouses and maybe even some people from church, but in the beginning, what will I do with my time? Ryan's company offers some options (which, honestly, I find laughable):
- Hyderabad has many clubs. The Secunderabad Club is one of the best private clubs in the city and provides many facilities. It is possible to get temporary membership.
- Many spouses have taken up hobbies such as gardening, pets, aquariums etc.
- Part-time employment opportunities for expat spouses
WOW! I think I found my answer, guys! I will take up aquariums!!!*
But in all seriousness, here are some of my ideas (that's right, it's a list. I love my projects and I love lists. And this combines the two: a list of projects.):
- I may look in to taking a yoga class with other ex-pats. I figure this could be a good way to get to know them, as well as get my needed exercise.
- I am going to work on my Summer Reading List. Yes, by that time, it will be autumn. That is irrelevant!
- Of course, I want to keep up with my friends and family, so I intend to be writing a lot of emails, updating my family site with new pictures, keeping this blog up to date with my comings and goings, scheduling video chats (when available), and chatting via Skype as much as possible!
- I may even pick up my LOTR project again!
- I want to continue practicing writing as much as possible, from this blog and my serialized story, to finishing my novel that I started several years ago.
- And finally, I am going to devote myself to the marketing of my mom's business: Jean Elton. Her pottery is just beautiful and she really just needs to get her name out there! And hopefully, that's where I come in.
As with most of my projects, these will probably go unfinished. However, in the interest of being prepared for the inevitable boredom and lonliness, these are some of my ideas. Please feel free to leave any of your own in the comments section! I love hearing what you have to think.
*Please note: that was sarcasm.